This blog is dedicated to writing book reviews. Books are a big part of who I am and I'd love to share with you some of the ones I'm reading and what I think of them :) Thanks! and Happy Reading!!

Friday, 27 June 2014

The Castles of Athlin and Dunbayne

By Ann Radcliffe


(Blurb: Ann Radcliffe's first novel is set in the Middle Ages against the melancholy beauty of mountains and rugged coasts of the Scottish Highlands, tells the story of the warring clan chieftains of Athlin and Dunbayne. One of the earliest Gothic tales (1789), it recounts low-born Alleyn's quest for love and honour, and alternates scenes of passionate feeling with breakneck pursuits. The castle itself, in all its romantic sublimity, becomes the true focal point of the novel. Long out of print, this edition makes a little-known treasure available to modern readers.)

This novel by Ann Radcliffe sets the scene with beautiful and mysterious landscapes, dangerous yet serene forests and a perfect family whose peace and tranquility is shattered by the evil actions of a neighbouring tyrant. Though faced with unimaginable challenges and the pains of true love, each character shines with a virtue and steadfastness that reproaches our own corrupt 21st century. Though, short, this novel doesn't in any way lack the excitement and adventure of any other Gothic novel. It is full of danger, love and shocking surprises that keep us on the edge of our seats; including a perfect ending which adds to the novels overall charm. I, personally, love a solid, happy ending, and I certainly wasn't disappointed. Our heroes and heroines are finally repaid for all the heartache, abuse and torment they endured throughout their stories. This story is full of sword-fighting, daring escapes, a handsome set of heroes and beautiful heroines, it's a tale of loyalty and love, complete with our very own evil villain, all the while taking us on the adventure of a lifetime. Overall, I give this novel a 8/10. My only complaint is that it's too short! 

No comments:

Post a Comment