By Kate Mosse
(Blurb: In the winter of 1928, still seeking some kind of resolution to the horrors of World War I, Freddie is traveling through the beautiful but forbidding French Pyrenees. During a snowstorm, his car spins off the mountain road. Dazed, he stumbles through the woods, emerging in a tiny village, where he finds an inn to wait out the blizzard. There he meets Fabrissa, a lovely young woman also mourning a lost generation.
Over the course of one night, Fabrissa and Freddie share their stories. By the time dawn breaks, Freddie will have unearthed a tragic, centuries-old mystery, and discovered his own role in the life of this remote town.)
This novel was a 'spur of the moment' buy. I didn't know if I'd ever get to reading it. let alone to liking it! I thought it would be a romance (which, I'm ashamed to say, swayed my decision on whether to buy it) but I fell so hard in love with the story that I found early on, that I didn't care that it wasn't a typical love story.
Freddy's journey quickly became my own, his sorrows were mine and I loved going on his journey with him, both mentally and physically. He is such an intense character, desperate to heal himself, yet also convinced he will mourn for the rest of his days. But once he meets her, he realises that by unearthing the memories and truth of someone else's past, he can unearth his own, and finally find respite and healing.
This novel was very addicting and was a pleasure to read, though the mystery of the story did get confusing at some points, leaving me with questions that never really got answered. This made reading the novel quite difficult, though I did enjoy it very much. With that in thought, I give this novel a 8/10 :)
No comments:
Post a Comment